Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Whole Two Weeks

Admittedly, I didn't complete the Whole 30.  I was good for the first two weeks, but long runs and a few cravings eventually led me to give in and add milk to my coffee and a dabble or two into the realm of bread.  Nonetheless, I'd say I stayed about 75% committed to the experiment through the end.

So what's the final result?

I dropped 15.8 pounds in 30 days.  Yeah, that's a lot in a relatively short amount of time.

Now, to be fair, it can't all be attributed to the removal of dairy, grains, alcohol, legumes, and sugars.  I definitely ramped up the exercise over the past month, logging over 118 miles on foot, plus cross-training and weights.  But maybe I did so due to an overall increased focus on my health.  I've always been an "all-in" sort of person when it comes to physical fitness.  I mean, let's face it, you don't train for and actually complete a 100-mile run unless you're a bit obsessive.  So by concentrating on eating better, I probably also (subconsciously) upped my emphasis on exercise.

In any event, my clothes are looser, and I feel better.

The next question is: will I stick with it?

Yes and no.  Like I said, I had already worked milk back into my coffee and enjoyed the occasional sandwich, so I'll keep those.  And I will enjoy the occasional beer after a long run.  I'll try to steer clear of sugars, as I really haven't missed them and the few times I've had something sweetened (artificially or with refined sugar), the saccharinity has almost been sickening.  I've found my craving for sweets now tends toward apples, oranges, and bananas.

At the end of the day, it was a rewarding experience.  It takes some effort--mostly in shopping for and planning your meals--but it's not overbearingly difficult.  And you can't argue with the results.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails