Monday, January 19, 2015

Losing my edge or getting smarter?

Nell, Ezra, and I headed down to the Cowboy Capital of the World a little over a week ago so I could run a 25 km jaunt at the Hill Country State Nature Area. 

I love running Joe's races, and Bandera is probably my favorite trail run in Texas.  It's where I finished my first (and only) 100 km race back in 2009.  It's a great way to start the new year.

Alas, t'was not to be in 2015. 

Earlier in the week, I was besieged by what felt like strep throat (but wasn't).  I missed two days of work, and by the time I was beginning to recover, the weather down south had chosen to take a turn for the north, greeting us with 30 degree temps and freezing rain. 

I've run Bandera in the cold, and I've run Bandera in the rain.  Coming off being sick, there was no way in hell I was going to run Bandera in the cold AND the rain.

Instead, I lived vicariously through my son.  Ezra knocked back the 1-mile Bandera kids trail run in 9:07 (faster than his dad's marathon pace these days).  At least someone is still running trail races. 

Instead of gutting out a miserable 15.5 miles over slick, wet, cold, muddy, nasty terrain, I opted for a nice weekend with 75% of my family.  (Annie hung out in Funky Town with her godparents.)  We kicked back at  West 1077 Ranch--the best place to stay in Bandera. We wandered around Fredricksburg.  We gorged ourselves at Alamo Springs Café.
 All in all, a nice, relaxing weekend.

 So either I've lost my edge, or I've gotten smarter.  I'm going with the latter.

And once back in North Texas, I ran a nice 13.5 mile run Saturday.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails