Sunday, July 22, 2012

Inspiration.

You see some interesting stuff when you get up at 4:00 a.m. to run. City raccoons, the end of the night shift, the random chupacabra. You can never be certain what you will encounter while most of the world is sleeping.

Last night,er... morning, I had just started my 18 mile journey when I happened upon some college kids keeping the party alive in their driveway along University. I didn't think much of it, just kept moving down the road.

About 2 minutes later, I heard the plod, plod, plod of someone coming up behind me--FAST. Fight or flight kicks in, and because I'm a total honey badger, I clench my first, slow my pace slightly, and get ready to throw a mean haymaker.

"Dude... I am totally gonna f*cking run with you!"

Say what? I turn and see--no, make that smell--a twenty something frat boy who was at least a case of beer into his evening/nearly dawn.

"My friends said I was too drunk to run with you, so I was like, f*ck it, I'm gonna f*cking do it!"

The kid stayed with me for nearly a mile, talking nonstop the whole way. It was amusing and charming.

"This is SO bad ass!"

"What time is it? Like, 2 a.m?"

"I'm gonna get my masters when I graduate. I just don't know what program yet."

"Have you graduated or are you still in school?"

"I am SO drunk right now, dude!"

"Why are you carrying two water bottles?"

He made it to the Berry Street intersection before his friends pulled up in a suburban and hauled him back home, presumably to sleep it off. As they were pulling away, the kid left me with a little inspiration:

"Don't you f*cking quit!"

Gracias, amigo. Gracias.

1 comment:

William Choppa said...

That is such a kick ass story!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails