Monday, February 06, 2012

Rock On.

I was awakened early Saturday morning by the booming sounds of thunder. The rain was pelting the window as the lightning flashes brightened my hotel room through the black-out curtains. 

Rocky, you little bitch, it's nice to see you again.
I hadn't run in Huntsville since I DNF'd at mile 77 of the 2009 Rocky Raccoon 100 mile race.  For whatever reason, I got inspired to give it another go, but this time at the more reasonable 50 mile distance.

I arrived at the race site to learn that there were no parking spaces even remotely near the starting line.  So I parked a mile down the road and hoofed it in the rain, arriving about 10 minutes after the 50 milers had headed out.  Late again... ah well. 

The trail was about what I expected--wet, muddy, slimy, and rooty. I've run the course several times, but not under these conditions. No complaints, just a bit slower than anticipated.
The rain continued off and on throughout the morning, then--for a brief, shining moment--the sun came out and smiled upon us foolish souls silly enough to choose to slosh about all day (and all night, for some) through the wilderness.
I was feeling pretty good after two loops (33 1/3 miles).  Even had the energy to snap a self-portrait just before heading out for the final 16 2/3 miles. 
I don't have an official finish time yet, but I think it will be around 11 hours and 35 minutes.  Take off the 10 minutes it took me to get to the start after the gun went off, and I'm guessing I was moving for about 11 hours and 25 minutes. 

I felt good the whole race, never had any bad moments or injuries, and am just a little stiff today.  I feel much better than I did after Bandera (when my quads were sore to the touch for nearly 5 days).

All in all, a successful, enjoyable romp.

Oh, and take a look at my shoes, socks, and gaiters after the run.  I tried to hose them off as best I could in the hotel bathtub. 

Just a wee bit of mud.

1 comment:

Running Reverend said...

Hey Ryan, Monti C just sent me the link to your blog. We work together @ Broadway. I was down there for the Rocky mudfest with 2 buddies. Sounds like I'm a little more sore than you, but no injuries. Hope to meet you through Dyron some day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails