Thursday, October 21, 2010

Strange Daze.

I was in Austin for work last week and snagged a bite to eat with Mark and Clea (and Clea's husband Mike and her son Jasper).  I met Clea more than a few years ago when I ran my first 50K in Waco.  Mark was at the Waco run, too, although I honestly don't recall if we met then or not.  If memory serves me, I stumbled onto his blog and then kept bumping into him at various races.  In any event, it was nice catching up in person over some tasty pizza and yummy beer.

During our visit, Mark asked me how I felt about Mother Road.

"Under trained," I said.

"Yeah, but we always feel that way," he responded.

True, but this time I really do feel like I haven't put in enough miles.  I never did a long run more than 26 miles.  I haven't done much the past month.  And my diet--while it has had periods of greatness--has been far from ideal.  I don't feel particularly strong or healthy these days.  If anything, I feel tired and slow.  (Oh, and I awoke this morning to a sore throat.)

Not sure what it all means, but Mother Road will be an interesting journey.  I'm batting .500 on 100 mile runs, so it's anybody's guess what'll happen in a few weeks.  I know that the battle is more in my head than in my feet, so the plan is to embrace the agony and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails