Friday, July 02, 2010

The Long... Ride???

Cycling has become a much larger part of my routine as the mercury has screamingly ascended to triple-digit temperatures.  I've got a great spinning class I hit twice a week at lunch, and for the past 6 weeks, I've been joining a group on Saturday mornings for 40-50 mile rides. 

I picked up a heart rate monitor from Steep and Cheap and was somewhat surprised to learn that the beat is much higher on the bike than when running. 

There are two probable reasons for this: 

(1) I have been running for over a decade now, and my body has become more efficient on two feet than on my Felt

(2) I don't push myself hard enough on the run.

It's probably both.

And so now, at 4:42 a.m. Friday morning, I will hurl myself out the front door and down the street on a 16 mile, pre-dawn shuffle.  Summer running in Texas sucks--er, I mean, rocks.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails