Sunday, May 09, 2010

Marriage, Motherhood, and Mayhem.

It has been an interesting and (often) exhausting few days.

Friday evening, my wife and son rehearsed their respective roles as bridesmaid and ringbearer in preparation of my little sister's wedding to Mr. Smith.  (That is his acutal name.  I am not intending to be coy or clever.  (Not that you assumed I was attempting either.)) 

Following the practice session, we enjoyed fine food and tasty beverages at the original Kincaid's off Camp Bowie.  Our two and half year old gooblin (a cross between goober and goblin) did his best to disrupt Mr. Smith's father's toast, but we were able to keep him at a bay just long enough for the clinking of glasses.

Saturday, after a brisk 8 mile run at a decent 8:12 per mile clip (yay!), my bride bid me adieu as she ventured to the salon/spa for hair, make-up, and general bridesmaid mirth.  The boy and I played for awhile until I layed (or is laid?) down the law and enforced the necessary afternoon nap.

(Somewhat) refereshed, the Valdez men got dressed and made it to the church on time.  The ceremony, a beautiful affair with trumpets, organs, and violins, went off without a hitch.  My favorite moment had to be my son standing in front of the congregation holding his Nana's (my mother's) hand and casually eating corn nuts while she read from the Gospel.  Precious moments.

We partied hard into the night, enjoying several "fast beers" and a delightful dinner, until the wee hour of 10:15 p.m.

Thankfully, Ezra did not let the late night affect his nightly routine of waking around 3:30 a.m.

Yawn.

Late this morning, we shared a very nice mother's day brunch with our extended family, including (the newly-established) Mr. and Mrs. Smith, at the Iron Cactus.  It was a mind-blowing mix of sushi, bacon and eggs, prime rib, trout, chicken fried pork, and other such food stuffs topped off with a bread pudding to rival Pat O'Briens' (so I am told).

Happy Mother's Day, Nell!

Happy Mother's Day, mom!

Happy Mother's Day, G-ma!

Happy Mother's Day, Grams!

May you all get the wonderful sleep that I so desparately desire.

p.s. Warrior Dash results show a finish time of 27:02 at a pace of 8:43 per mile.  I finished 154 out of 899 in my division (males 30-34), good enough for the top 17%.  Given the obstacles and the distance (3.51 miles), I'm fairly suprised and pleased with the result. 

p.p.s. I hope everyone enjoyed the (excessive) use of parathenses in this post.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I, for one, could have used a few more parentheses and possibly another PS. Next time? :-)

Emilie said...

I love the story...thank you for sharing for us out-of-towners to enjoy your adventures! Tell that sister of mine hello for me and give the corn nut cruncher a hug and a kiss:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails