Monday, November 09, 2009

Injuries and the Ultrarunner

Transient Parasthesia.  Sounds pretty nifty, eh?  Well, apparently that is what I have been suffering from since Heartland.  According the book "Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes" written by John Vonhof:
Transient parasthesia is a temporary nerve-compression that can be caused by a grudual buildup of fluids in your feet during extended on-your-feet activity.  As the feet swell and blood flow decreases, nerves become compressed.  During the compression, the nerves do not receive the oxygen-rich blood they need, resulting in numbness and/or tingling.
The numbness can last anywhere from several weeks to up to a year.  It's been a month since Heartland, and I've still got a little numbness concentrated in both big toes.  Ah, the fun of the ultrarun.

2 comments:

Addy said...

Hmm....well I have tingling in my foot....maybe this is what I have?

In any event, I hope yours goes away soon :)

S. Baboo said...

Cool, I have had that too since Javelina but it is pretty much gone now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails