Thursday, September 24, 2009
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
The hearing went well and finished with about two hours to spare. So I decided to explore the land of Leach on foot. And I confirmed what I had always known.
Lubbock. Is. Flat.
The next day, I hopped on another plane to San Diego for Rolo's wedding. Shaking off a hangover, I hit the beach for a run the day after the ceremony. And on that run I also confirmed something I had always known.
Southern California. Is. Beautiful.
Wednesday, September 09, 2009
- I'm sick of training. Remind me to never schedule a 100 mile race in the fall. Long runs + Texas heat = too many obscenely early mornings. Unless you're a morning news anchor, there is no justifiable reason for waking up before 3 a.m.
- Partisan politics are approaching ludicrous speed. Like him or not, when the President of United States of America chooses to address the nation's school children about the importance of education, parents should let their kids watch. Are you really worried that a twenty minute speech will detrimentally affect your child's (political) development? Maybe we should keep all political talk away from our kids (or at least political talk authored ]by members of a political party with which we don't agree). Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket. That's the way to raise independent thinkers.
- Sooner Nation continues to blame the loss of Heisman QB Sam Bradford for BYU's upset of the previously-ranked #3 team in the country. Um, yeah, but what about the Cougars' 9 minute, 78 yard touchdown drive in the 4th quarter?
- Speaking of football, Fantasy Football (which is vastly superior to the plain old NFL) starts this week. I've got a few stars and several question marks in my lineup.
- I am jealous of Ezra's mid-day nap.
Saturday, September 05, 2009
* Long is a relative term. I'll still be doing 10-15 mile runs on Saturdays, but nothing near that 26-32 miles I've been logging as of late.
** Have I mentioned Heartland? It's this 100-mile run in Kansas in October that has (nearly) been the singular focus of this blog for the past several months.
Thursday, September 03, 2009
Also looming is the Longhorn season opener against Louisiana-Monroe. Yes, Texas is a 41 point favorite. Yes, the OSU-Georgia, the BYU-OU, and the Alabama-Virginia Tech games will all be more exciting. Yes, I will have to spend $30 to watch the Horns crush a non-conference cupcake. But, HELL YES, I will be watching the game Saturday night decked out in my burnt orange.