Friday, October 24, 2008

Good times at the Friends of the River run last night. I left the house about 45 minutes before the beginning of the race for a 4.6 mile jog to the starting line, where I met up with Nell and Ezra. Although we've run together many times, this was our first "family race." Ezra was restless at the start--he wanted to be on the move. We let him walk around a little bit, but we limited his distance in light of the decent crowd of runners milling about. It was a fun evening and the food at the post-race party was top notch. We had some pizza, pulled pork sandwiches, catfish, hush puppies, empenadas, smoked sausage, banana pudding, fish tacos, quesadillas, hummus--hmmm... maybe that's why I went to bed so full. They trick you with bite-size portions; if you eat enough of them, you'll stuff yourself (as I definetly did).I haven't run in a race less than marathon distance in years. I kind of have an issue with value and cost per mile--hard to justify spending $20+ on a 5 km or 10 km when I can just head out my door and run 20 miles for free. Plus, I don't like the huge crowds at smaller races. I think part of what has drawn me more and more toward ultras is the low key nature of the events.
But Friends of the River was a fun run with the family, and it supports the Trinity Trails, where I've logged hundreds and hundreds of miles since moving to Fort Worth. I will probably do it again next year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails