Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The reality of running 100 miles 4 months from now still hasn’t sunk in. I don’t know if it ever will until race day arrives, and I’m in the midst of the battle.

Last weekend, I nearly ran a marathon on Saturday, took a shower, played 18 holes of golf, and then watched college football. The following day, I did a 90-minute spinning class. Not too long ago, a marathon would cripple me for a week or more. Now, it’s just another long training run, and I’m still feeling good enough to enjoy a normal Saturday.

I’m pleased with the way my running ability has progressed, but 100 miles is still unfathomable. My mind has trouble grasping the concept of running for 24 hours (or more likely, 24 hours plus).

My two 50 mile attempts left me exhausted; what will twice the distance do to me?

And am I really training enough?

Other than my long run, I don’t feel like I’m fully engaged in preparing for Rocky Raccoon (or Bandera, for that matter).

I need to commit fully to this.

I should probably run more. Or should I? I don’t know. It’s hard to know what will work and what won’t. How long should my longest run be? How much cross-training should I do? Should I change my diet?

It’s all one big experiment, and I won’t know the results until February 7-8, 2009.

3 comments:

clea said...

Ryan:
I think you are fine. I don't think you need to do more. Most folks don't go over 50 when training for a 100. Having a life is important too...you'll do fine on what you are doing, and your races will build on one another. You will always find someone who trained more than you and someone who trained less...just do what is right for you!!

Jenno said...

Why 100 miles? That seems like torture to your body. Is it meant to do that?

Mark said...

I agree with Clea - you don't want to burn yourself out. We all have doubts as to whether we're doing enough training, but I've learned to do what I think is right for me and ignore what other folks are doing - if I'm feeling tired I'll take a few days off and come back feeling stronger. You have a good progression of races (roughly one a month) leading up to RR which will set you up nicely.

I can see the three of us standing around Huntsville SP come February posing with our finishers belt buckles!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails