Sunday, August 03, 2008

North Texas is hot. Seriously, HOT. Really, really H-O-T.

It hit 108 yesterday. I got up at 4:30 a.m. to beat the heat, but 15 minutes into my 16 mile run, I passed a sign boldly declaring that the temperature had already reached 85 degrees.

This. Is. Unacceptable.

As I dragged my sweat-drenched, depleted, (literally*) dehydrated body back home 2 hours and 45 minutes later, I had to remind myself that swearing off all summer running wasn't the answer and that eventually cooler temperatures would return. But until they do, long runs are going to be rough. During the run, I drank 2 liters of water and several cups of Nuun, plus 2 S-Caps and a bag of Clif Bloks, and I chugged 32 ounces of my Gatorade/Protein post-run creation** immediately after finishing, but I was still downing water all day long. Couldn't get enough.

Oh, and not smart enough to stay inside for the rest of the day, I ventured out again at 2 p.m. to play 9 holes of golf.*** I went to bed at 8:30 p.m. last night.

6 miles this morning at 7:00 a.m. with Ezra was steamy, too. At least the little dude got to sleep for the last 2 miles as I pushed his rapidly growing, 23-pound frame up Hidden Road.
I need a nap.
Have a nice Sunday, amigos.

Footnotes****
* Not literally.
** 1 scoop of Gatorade lemon lime powder mixed with 2 scoops of EAS protein in 32 ounces of water makes a somewhat dense citrus cream concoction that aids with recovery. Or so I tell myself. It's basically the poor man's Accelerade.
*** I also spent midday running errands around town, including a trip to Costco. Why, I ask, why???
**** Do you like the footnotes? They are new.

2 comments:

Frandog said...

I resorted to treadmill time watching a baseball game. Last year I watched golf tournaments. Just can't take the heat. It's not the same, but it's better than nothing.

Just12Finish said...

I like the footnotes :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails