Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Cow Creek was a beat down. The first 50 or so miles were more or less straight into a brutal headwind. It was rough. I never hooked up with a group, so I was forced to fight the wind solo. No drafting. Miserable. At mile 50, I had a choice: I could either (a) go for the century ride and take a turn directly into the headwind or (b) opt for the 75 mile ride and finally enjoy a tailwind. I went with the latter option. And I'm okay with that.

One other notable occurrence. I foolishly left the mile 60 aid station without my water bottles. I discovered my mistake about 5 miles down the road. Oops. Thankfully, I happened upon a little Mexican bakery just off Highway 77, where I was able to purchase a couple bottles of agua.

p.s. I'm bored with my exercise. I want to start training for Bandera and Rocky Raccoon, but both races are too far away (January and February 2009, respectively). So I'm pretty in maintenance mode. I've got a solid marathon base (meaning I can go out and run a marathon pretty much whenever I want), but long, early runs in July and August aren't much fun, especially when there's nothing big on the horizon. Oh well.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Well, at least those six omens you worried about didn't come back to haunt you.

clea said...

Hi Ryan...

Relax.... You will have many, many a weekend sucked up by long runs in just a couple months. Plus, the break will do us some good. I have almost convinced myself to do the Rocky 100...if it pans out, hope we get some miles together.

AnthonyP said...

Are you planning on the 50 or 100 at RR ?

Addy said...

Sounds like a tough ride (especially with ruly drivers!) but good call on taking that opportunity for the tailwind :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails