Wednesday, April 23, 2008


Last weekend, Nell and I watched the film, “Into the Wild.” Several years ago, I read Jon Krakauer’s book upon which the movie is based. The story of Christopher McCandless, an idealistic wanderer who shunned his privileged upbringing to live a simple life traveling the country, ultimately dying alone in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness, is simultaneously tragic and uplifting. I highly recommend both the film and the book. And the soundtrack. Eddie Vedder’s original songs beautifully capture the spirit of McCandless’ journey. Together, the book, movie, and soundtrack are among the best I’ve experienced in a long time.

2 comments:

welshmark said...

I've read that book too but haven't seen the film yet. Jon Krakauer's one of my favorite writers - have you ever read "Into Thin Air"?

See you at El Scorcho (we chatted briefly at the Rocky Raccoon start line back in February - I had just signed up for your race the day before. Think I saw you at the Waco 50k too, but didn't get a chance to say hello).

GandaMan said...

Welshamrk, I'm a big Krakauer fan. "Into Thin Air" was the first book of his I read. Since then, I've gone through his short catalog. I recently read somewhere that his next book is due later this year and focuses on Pat Tillman, the former NFL player who enlisted in the army following 9/11 and was killed in action in Afghanistan.

Sorry I missed you at the Waco 5-0. Be sure to say hello at El Scorcho. We already have 250 entrants! (more than last year)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails