Thursday, March 20, 2008

Because I've been running so many races this year, my long training runs have all but disappeared. I've been in a cycle of race, recover, race, recover, race....

In some ways, it's been nice. I've even joked that running a marathon (or longer) every 2-3 weeks means you never have to train.

But yesterday morning, I got up early and went on a long run along the Trinity. For the first 4-5 miles, I was completely alone; I never saw another soul. The quiet solitude and crisp pre-dawn air greeted me like an old friend. I felt the sun slowly rising and the earth warming around me as daylight broke over Fort Worth. It was a magnificent run.

5 comments:

AnthonyP said...

I know how you feel with the race, recover, race, recover scenario. I like to use a bunch of races as training runs, but always find it hard to get myself to run them as training runs and not as races.

Kevin said...

I hear you, GandaMan. It is nice at times when there is not a single soul on the road with you. I got your earlier message and I'll drop you a line when one day for a long run.

Trail Running said...

Just wondering how you find the time to run all those races. It must be super draining on your body too. But I think I am opposite of you when it comes to running, it's nice to have the company and motivation of other runners.

GandaMan said...

Anthony P -
I agree. Even if you call it a "training run," it's hard not to want to push it when you're lining up at an official race.

Kevin -
Any time, amigo. I did 19 miles around Fort Worth w/ my buddy Jason yesterday morning.

Trail running blogger -
If it wasn't an official race, I'd still be running the same distances. Solitude is good, running races is good. I like the variety. As far as the effect on my body, I actually feel like I have more energy these days than ever before. You work up to it. I started running about 8 years ago. At that time, a marathon was an almost unreachable goal. Over the years, my body adapted. These days, I can run a marathon and feel great. No soreness during or after. I usually do a long run of 18-24 miles once a week. It amazes me what the human body can become accustomed to.

Just12Finish said...

I agree - I know the feeling. It's great, but somehow not great enough to make me do it more often. I guess I just want to pace myself and not overdo it :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails