Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I recently finished reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It was a mesmerizing and powerful read. Harsh and difficult at times, but ultimately tender and moving, "The Road" may be the best book I have read in a long, long time. McCarthy's story of a father and son traveling a bleak, ashen post-apocalyptic world elicited an emotional response I had yet to experience while reading. Perhaps being a new father heightened my empathy for the characters and the inherent understanding a parent has of the need to protect and care for one's child. I can't say that I enjoyed "The Road"--how does one enjoy a such a tale?--but I am grateful for having read it. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

afuntanilla said...

After reading, "no country for old men", I am half way into the road. I agree with your very accurate description. Also, for me, reading this one as oppossed to NO COUNTRY is like battling an ultra. Thoughts?

GandaMan said...

Yes, it does have the endless feel of an ultra. The Road also has an emotional depth that No Country did not. I cared about the characters in The Road.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails