Tuesday, December 11, 2007

White Rock 07 was an interesting marathon. (Check out photos here.)

It started the night before, when Nell, Ezra, and I hunkered down in the spare bedroom at my parents' place. Nell and I were both running on Sunday, and someone had to watch Ezra during the race. Nanna and Pop (the self-appointed granparent names of my mom and dad) are always ideal, but they were attending a party the night before the run, and Pop was also running the White Rock relay. So we opted to stay at their house so Nanna could watch Ezra the following day (thereby eliminating the need to wake up ridiculously early to drop Ezra off before the race).

At 6:30 a.m., Pop and I slinked into the car and made our way through the cold, rainy morning en route to Dallas. We were part of a relay team consisting of 5 runners, each covering 5-6 miles. The full marathon was sold out, so I planned to run the entire relay along with my relay team, matching my pace with each team member. Officially, I was supposed to cover a 5 mile stretch around White Rock lake. Unofficially, I intended to run 26.2. Renegade style, amigos.

I dropped Pop off at the 1st relay exchange and then drove back toward the American Airlines Center. Traffic wasn't too bad, and I had made arrangements to park at Poolie's office near the West End. I met Jballs at the office, and we began the quarter-mile walk to the starting line.

Of course, we were late.

The race began right on time, but we didn't make it to the start for another 5-6 minutes. The race officials looked us a little funny as we sauntered casusally toward the timing mats.

"You guys running the half marathon? It starts in an hour."

"No, we're here for the marathon."

"You sure? You know it already started? Started at eight."

"Yep, we're just running late."

"Well, I guess you can go ahead."

Gee, thanks.

We trudged along for about half a mile before running into the rest of the runners. Zig-zagging our way through race walkers and joggers, we cruised through Turtle Creek and towards the first relay exchange located at the 10 km point.

Based on our late start, we figured that V., the relay team member handling the initial leg, had already handed off to Donaldo, who intended to run around 12-14 minutes per mile. So the plan was to continue running until we caught up with him, at which point we would match his pace. But 2 miles after the relay exchange, we still haven't caught him.

What gives? Did we miscalculate? Was he ahead of us? Or had we zoomed based V. during the first leg of the relay, putting Donaldo behind us? Hmmmm... what to do? What to do?

As we contemplated our fate, we happened upon a group of marathon spectators attempting to deliver beer to the runners. It was 9:15 a.m. and we were 8 miles into a marathon. Why the hell not? Jballs and I each grabbed a cold Miller lite and, while we walked along and sipped our brew, lo and behold, Donaldo approached from behind us! Ah, the miracle of lager!

A couple miles later, we bid our companion farewell as we began the long, slow circumference of White Rock Lake.

At mile 13, I called Poolie and requested the she bring me an apple fritter.

At mile 15, we met up with M., who forced us to pick up the pace as we hurried out of the park and back into the neighborhoods.

At mile 20, Poolie handed me a Stabucks bag. My apple fritter? Nope, even better--an eclair! And, hey, look, it's some more folks handing out beer. Perfect! Suds and sugar.

As we approached the finish line, we were all smiles. Our time was slow (4:49:56), but it was a lot of fun. I got to run a marathon with my dad and sister... and M. and Jballs. And I got to have a couple of beers and eat a doughnut. Good times.

p.s. Nell finished her half marathon in 2:12:12--and she ran it three and a half months after giving birth to Ezra J!

4 comments:

Bex said...

I love it when you can eat your way through a marathon. I'm jealous that you got an eclair!

Just12Finish said...

That's the most laid back marathon race report I've ever read. You guys probably had the most fun of all too!

GandaMan said...

It was a fun, laid back marathon. Now I've got to get ready for Bandera--which does not look laid back at all.

monicac2 said...

Your wife is a badass!

And being late, drinking beer and eating pastries - those are new tricks of the trade! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails