Thursday, December 27, 2007

I just finished reading "No Country for Old Men" by Cormac McCarthy. I picked it up from the library because the movie interested me, and I wanted to read the book before seeing the film. If the Coen brothers stay true to McCarthy's vision (which reviews of the film say they have), then the motion picture will be brutally violent, dark, and powerful. I'd never read anything by McCarthy before "No Country for Old Men," but after completing the novel, I went straight to the library to check out another of his books. There is a rhythm to his prose that I haven't experienced with any other authors. I felt like I wasn't reading his words; rather, I was hearing them or feeling them. For some strange reason, McCarthy's stark, minimalist style also reminded me of running an ultra event.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some strange reason, McCarthy's stark, minimalist style also reminded me of running an ultra event.

A first in literary criticism, perhaps?

monicac2 said...

I plan to see the movie. Looks really good!

afuntanilla said...

Now, you've made me want to read the book before I see the film. Good post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails