Sunday, November 18, 2007

Prerace prep with Ezra James...

The Ultracentric is a 2 mile out-and-back course on an asphalt road in Meadowmeare Park, Grapevine, Texas. There are several races going on at once--6 hour, 12 hour, 24 hour, and 48 hour. I opted for the 12 hour run with a goal of completing 50 miles in under 11 hours.

We woke up around 6 a.m. and made the 30 minute drive to Grapevine, stopping on the way for breakfast at McDonald's.

At 9 a.m., the airhorn sounded, and so began my day-long pursuit of relentless forward motion. I purposefully settled into a casual pace (around 10 minutes or so per mile plus walk breaks at the two aid stations).

The first 6 laps were pretty easy (12 total miles). Although it was warm, a nice breeze off the lake kept things manageable.

Around 11:30 a.m., I grabbed a hamburger and ate it on the run.

And then the sun came out. All the way out. 81 degrees out. In November. Ugh. I was caked in sweat and salt. Nasty stuff. I trudged along, racking up 28-30 total miles just after 2:00 p.m.

Around 2:30 p.m., Jason and M. showed up with Starbucks. I downed a venti Cafe Mocha for a nice caffeine boost.

A few hours later, Poolie joined me just as I hit 40 miles. After snacking on some macaroni and cheese and red beans and rice, we started up again.

4 miles later, Nell joined us. For a mile or so, Poolie, Nell, and I ran together, but Nell's pace was a bit too quick for me at that point, so I gave her the greenlight to go ahead while Poolie and I plowed through the last 6 miles.

Finally, at 10 hours, 27 minutes, 22 seconds, we (Poolie and I) crossed the timing mat. 50 miles. We'd made it.

I took a seat in a folding chair, ate some PB&J, and sipped a Coca Cola. I was content.

After 10 minutes or so, Donaldo arrived, and we (Poolie, Donaldo, and I) walked another 2 miles. Nell then joined us, and she and I walked another mile to bring the grand total up to 53.

So at the end of the day, I ran 50 miles in 10:27:22 and walked another 3 miles in 1:32:38. In total, I covered 53 miles in 11:59:39.

Waking up this morning, I anticipated being awfully sore. And while my legs are definitely fatigued, I don't feel too bad. In fact, I've felt worse after marathons or particularly hard training runs. I don't have any acute pain, just an overall, but slight, tiredness in my legs. Strange.

Before I get to excited, I'll see how tomorrow goes. It usually takes a couple days for it to sink in....

2 comments:

TEN9T6 said...

Great Job! I was out there for the 48...I just wanted to finish.. I am not near as fast as the others out there... not yet!

Anyway.. Great job hitting your goal.

GandaMan said...

Thanks! Congrats to you, too. 48 hours is a LONG time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails