Sunday, September 16, 2007

Yesterday was a big day for me. I ran a marathon... as a training run.

I woke up with Ezra at 3:11 a.m., downed coffee and breakfast, filled my hydration pack, and hit the road. 4 hours, 24 minutes later, I had run 26.3 miles.

It was serenely enjoyable running throughout west Fort Worth in the pre-dawn darkness. No cars on the road, no humans in sight.

After leaving my neighborhood, I jogged along edge of Westover Hills before turning onto Camp Bowie Boulevard towards Hulen. I cruised through Tanglewood and down University Drive through the middle of TCU's campus. I buzzed the edge of Colonial Country Club and then took the Trinity Trail to downtown, where I circled the silent buildings in quiet placidity. As the sun finally began to rise, I made my way back onto the trail and followed it along the river behind Rockwood Park and Greenwood Memorial Cemetery. A few joggers and running clubs were stirring as I trudged up Hidden Road toward Rivercrest Country Club. A mile and a half later, I was home.

Today, I feel great. I'm going for a walk around the block with Nell and Ezra in a bit, then I'm going for an easy 4 miles.

It's pretty amazing to realize that a marathon, which used to be the ultimate goal, has now become a training run.

2 comments:

Addy said...

congrats on the progression! That's a great landmark to hit :)

Just12Finish said...

That's quite an achievement. I can do a half before breakfast no problem, but a full?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails