Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I've noticed that my running times have gotten much slower.

A year ago, I was training to break the 4-hour marathon barrier. I was keeping a long run pace of 9 minutes per mile or better and running my shorter distances at 8:00-8:30 per mile. And it must've been a good training plan, because I finished two marathons (Marine Corps and White Rock) in under 4 hours.

But now, distance--not speed--is the goal.

The past few weekends, I've been leaving the house around 5 a.m. for 20+ mile treks around west Fort Worth. My average pace on these long runs has been around 10:30 per mile. Granted, the Texas temperatures have been hovering around a very steamy 100 degrees--and my pace includes time spent stopping at the local convenience store to refuel on Gatorade and water--but 90 seconds per mile is a pretty big drop off.

Oh well. Hopefully these long, slow jogs will come in handy in November when I'm going to be running in circles for 12 hours straight at the Ultracentric.

(Still no baby....)

1 comment:

Michael said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one in the area having this problem lately. I've cut two long runs short over the last couple weeks, and have had a 75+ second per mile slowdown. I was going to call the doctor today, but today's run was fine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails