Wednesday, July 18, 2007

El Scorcho RD's Report: Part One

Last Saturday morning started off like most others. I got up and went for a run. Only 6.5 miles this time (I had done 21 the week before) because I was trying to conserve my energy for two main reasons. First, I had (and still have) the San Francisco marathon in two weeks. Second, I had El Scorcho, my all-night 50K run notion, taking place in Trinity Park.

So... Jballs and I took off from his new apartment and cruised around downtown trail for about an hour.

Then we grabbed breakfast and headed to the music store to pick up the PA system for the run. That was an experience. And that's all I can say about it.

After dropping off the PA system at FWRunCo, I made my way home and attempted to take a nap. Surpisingly, I got about an hour of sleep before the evil cats began to howl for food and attention. Evil, evil cats.

I hung around the house some more, did some work, tried to lay low to conserve my energy for the race. While not running, I was one of four organizers in charge of El Scorcho. And I was the guy who had initially come up with the idea of putting together an ultramarathon starting at midnight. (My fellow organizers referred to me affectionately as "The Instigator.") Needless to say, I knew that however the run turned out, I would be on the receiving end of praise or ridicule.

Around 5:30 p.m., Nell and I grabbed an early dinner, with the hope that it would inspire another nap.

It didn't. Oh well.
At 9 p.m., I packed up my bag, loaded my bike, and drove the 2 miles to race HQ inside Trinity Park. Coach Jim (co-owner of FWRunCo) and Mary (with It's About Time, our outside chip-timing vendor) had already marked the course with cones and signs. I chatted with some volunteers who had arrived early, and we began stuffing goodie bags for the runners.

A few minutes later, James (co-owner of FWRunCo) showed up with his trailer full of aid station supplies, music equipment, and just about everything else for the race. We spent the next hour or so unloading and setting up our two aid stations along the 3.1 mile loop course.

It was coming up on 10:30 p.m., and some runners had already arrived in the park. Wow, there were already a lot of them. This might be a bigger deal than we thought.

To be continued...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails