Saturday, May 05, 2007

I'm afraid I've become somewhat of a running snob. Nell just took off with two friends to run the Mayfest 5K this morning. I was invited, but a 5K no longer motivates me. Why pay $20 to run 3.1 miles when a marathon costs $50-$75? Such a better value. And these days my short runs are 4-6 miles. 3.1 doesn't seem worth dealing with parking, crowds, etc. At one point, I considered running from the house to the start of the race, but, as much as it might make me feel like a mini-Karno (who apparently just ran a double Big Sur marathon), I think I'd rather go out for a 10 mile run by myself. Avoid the other running folk and zone out. Then I've got to go to the office to finish up a motion for summary judgment. I love my job. Really.

P.S. I forgot to thank Cracka and KatDaddy for coming out to the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon last week. It was great seeing them as I ran down the chute to the finish line. We got to spend a couple of post-race hours hanging out and grabbing lunch. Married life seems to suit Cracka well, and KatDaddy seems to really enjoy Cracka (strange as that may seem). Best of luck in Ireland, kids!!! (wink, wink)

P.P.S. Last thing. I was quite impressed when, seconds after receiving my finisher's medal at the OKC marathon, I was offered (and accepted) a massive Carl's Jr. cheeseburger. Take note folks--that is the way to end a marathon.

2 comments:

Just12Finish said...

Hey, to each his own. Enjoy your marathons!

afuntanilla said...

yeah-- i think we all kinda become snobs at some point. but then, i seem to circle back around and do a bunch of different distances. I know what you mean though about the entry fees.

can't believe u ate a cheeseburger. impressive!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails