Sunday, April 29, 2007

Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon results -- 4 hours, 6 minutes flat.

Saturday afternoon, J. and I drove to Oklahoma City, arriving 15 minutes before the close of the marathon expo. After J. registered and we both picked up our race packets, we made our way to Tinker Air Force Base, where we had booked a room for the night. (J. is in the reserves.)

The next morning at the bright, shining hour of 4:45 a.m., we woke up and headed to IHOP, where I discovered a new pre-race meal: 3 pancakes, a scrambled egg, and two pieces of bacon. And two cups of coffee.

The race started at the Oklahoma City Memorial. After a moving 168 seconds of silence observed in memory of the 168 people who lost their lives in the Oklahoma City bombing, we listened to a beautiful rendition of "Amazing Grace," followed by the singing of the National Anthem.

And then we were off!

J. and I stayed together until mile 15, running just under 10 minute miles. He started to fade at that point, so I motored ahead, picking up the pace a bit and finishing in 4 hours, 6 minutes flat. I ran the second half 6 minutes faster than the first.

This was hands-down the easiest marathon I've ever run, despite temperatures in the mid-80s, no shade, lots of sun, and zero clouds. I felt great the whole way. Never hit the wall or felt bad. I can't really explain it. I just had a lot of fun. I danced through the aid stations, posed like a moron for the cameras (see above), and enjoyed the crowds.

It was a good way to end the marathon season.

More biking, less running for the next couple of months, as I'm now gearing up for the Cow Creek Country Classic 100 mile bike ride in June.

2 comments:

Jason The Running Man said...

It was the IHOP Breakfast! There must be something in those pancakes!!:) Great job congrats on the race!

Just12Finish said...

Congrats! This is becoming old hat for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails