Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Despite the barrage of storms barreling through North Texas last night, I managed to drag myself to the gym. Nell had another photo shoot, so I was on my own for the evening. Rather than veg out in front of the TV with a beer, I ventured outside and sloshed my way to the FAC for some lifting and 30 minutes on a bike. The result: I slept wonderfully last night. I know I’ve read somewhere that exercising before bed can cause sleep problems, but for me it’s like taking one Ambien. (Actually, that may not be an apt comparison, as I’ve never taken Ambien, but you get the point.) I hit the pillow and was out for the count. This morning, I woke up fresh and went for a 6.3 mile run along the Trinity River.

On a different note, I have been thinking about whether or not I would post something on the Virginia Tech tragedy and what I would say. Then I came across these words, which convey the sentiment that occupies my thoughts on the sadness that has occurred:
Our reaction to tragedy can potentially be as dangerous and hurtful as the tragedy itself. I hope those closely involved in the incident, as well as those far away, can find a true spirit of compassion for all of those involved – the victims, the families of the victims, the staff of the university, the law enforcement officers, the person responsible for the shootings and his family.

How much pain do you have to be in to even consider taking the lives of so many, seemingly at random, then take your own life? It is a pain beyond comprehension. I pray none of us ever experience it.

1 comment:

ebwrite said...

Thank you for the quote; I am glad someone found it helpful.

Blessings to you, and best of luck at Oklahoma City. It is a very special marathon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails