In keeping with tradition, I now post my 2006 submission to The Mellies. For those unfamiliar, The Mellies are a celebration of the readership of The League of Melbotis, a blog I infrequently frequent.
I encourage both of you reading this post to visit The League and give the Mellies a go.
And I am very excited about receiving my “special thank you” from The League, as my official submission includes my mailing address.
Without further ado, here we go…
a) Why does the League obsess about... comics and other things it should have given up after puberty?
b) The League needs to cover... it's unmentionables.
c) In the future, The League should not... experiment with Jones soda.
d) You should really add this blog to your blogroll... Hawaiian Shirt Friday.
And now, on to the rest...
1) The person who is always on TV, but whom drives me insane
And my wife loves her. (And DVRs every episode.)
There is no escape.
2) Most questionable release from a major movie studio (theatrical release)
3) Most poorly thought-out band/album/ song
Coldplay. They showed potential with Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head. But after all the hype for X&Y, they failed to deliver. Unlike U2 (the band they most want to be), they lack substance. Their songs are lyrically stupid but aurally intoxicating.
4) You know what was surprisingly good, but you'd never think it? (category: movie)
Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith.
Yes, it was over-the-top. But it was still good. After kicking us the crotch for two lifeless, C-SPAN-esque prequels, Lucas finally delivered a dark, enjoyable film.
5) It is bad television, and yet I cannot look away
I don’t know if it’s bad, per se, but I love Nip/Tuck.
And, like Jimbo, I still tune in to watch American Idol. Though I DVR it and usually cover an episode in 1/4 of the time.
6) You know what was the most amazing day this year?
7) You know what's surprisingly good, but you'd never think it ? (category: food)
Rice Crackers with Nuts oriental snack mix from Costco.
8) God help me, but when I saw this on the news, I was secretly gleeful.
Marcus Vick stomping on a defender's leg after the play. And he was supposed to be a Heisman contender? Screw that.
9) I never mentioned it, but you know who is kind of hot..?
Karen from Will & Grace, a show I have come to loathe.
10) If I had a time machine with a single use, and my time travelling would not be filled with all sorts of crazy logic problems, I would go back to fix this one thing this year
--in my personal life
--on a more macrocosmic level
I have no regrets. Or at least I’m not admitting them on my public blog.
11) Best item at Burger King
12) If I could force you to read but one book, it would be
Too hard. So many. Recently, I’ve been pretty impressed with “The Kite Runner,” which I’m 3/4 of the way finished.
I recommend “Ultra Marathon Man” to my friends who can’t understand my endurance endeavors. Not that it helps them understand. But at least they know there’s people out there WAY more intense than I am.
“Fast Food Nation” will get you off junk food for at least a few days.
13) I'm no astrologist, but I love the planets. If I could dedicate myself to studying but one planet, it would be
Earth. Yep. Predictable.
14) I am most like the following Hanna Barbera cartoon character
Astro from the Jetsons.